Saturday, February 7, 2009

Thoughts on Wardrobe Basics

I love reading about how to develop a wardrobe and there are so many schools of thought on this subject. SWAPs follow right along with this thinking and I feel SWAPS are more detailed than a lot of other routes. I recently fell upon this online article from Forbes which I wanted to share. It is about a basic as it gets, yet I agree with almost everything in this article except for the Hermes Kelly bag. In forty years I have gone through five Coach bags which the total cost still doesn't add up to one Kelly. To sum up the article, go for great basics, think it through, buy quality, skip the trends, don't be matchy-matchy and just be your well-dressed self. Well, in this corner, we'll sew quality and snoop shop instead.

What intrigued me most about this was the link to Eight Essential Items For a Perfect Wardrobe.

Black Pant Suit
Black Pumps
Trench Coat
LBD
White Blouse
Cashmere Sweater
Pencil Skirt
Ballet Flats

The only thing I feel that was omitted was a pair of great fitting jeans. With these essentials, just add a little color with another jacket, sweater and blouse, a couple scarves and a string of pearls then world is at your feet. Hey, you can pick up a cashmere sweater on sale right now! These eight items are pretty much in line with Tim Gunn's 10 Essential Elements with just a change here and there and Tim has no color restrictions. I guess why I'm drawn to the Forbes article is because I feel black & white basics are just a great starting point for most of us.

Since this article was in Forbes, it is aimed at business women, but the basics really apply to everyone when they are out in public. Do you ever notice the well dressed women in the grocery store look so much more sure of themselves than the ladies in baggy Patriot shirts and worn sneakers?

5 comments:

Meg said...

I need to buy a good trenchcoat. I'm well-stocked on cashmere sweaters. I will never purchase an Hermes bag.

Faye Lewis said...

Thank you Marilyn. When you make your pattern weights please post so I can see.

Olga said...

I also like to read about and work at building a basic wardrobe. I would agree with the pieces, but believe in choosing a neutral color that complements one's own skin tone and coloring. I can't wear black withoug becoming depressed.

connieb said...

Oh my, I need to get sewing! Thanks for the kick in the seat Marilyn!

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.