Saturday, July 5, 2008

One Pattern, Two Jackets

I am amazed at the people who are constantly sewing and reviewing their latest creations. I barely have time to sew, but envy those that churn out new pieces on a regular basis. Rather than dream about creating new clothes, I decided I just need to do it. One thing that holds me back is the fitting process. Once that is out of the way, things usually move along at a good pace. I guess I'm much more motived once I have a pattern I am comfortable sewing.

Last year I made Burda 8433 for the PR 2007 SWAP in black linen. I really liked the way this jacket looked and sewed up. My present wardrobe needed a casual jacket other than my denim one and this pattern was just what I needed to fill in the gap. This time I added the collar and cuffs which were not included on my jacket last year. In both cases, I left off the front faux pockets since I think the design is busy enough. Since I am not allowing myself to purchase any more fabric for now (we'll see if I stick with this plan) I shopped my stash and came up with a bottom weight cotton in burnt orange. This color is a great contrast to many of my tops and bottoms in my summer wardrobe. I decided to emphasize the top-stitching by using a white thread and adding white buttons from the button stash to give the jacket more of a summer feel. Since I had fitted this jacket last year, the construction time went much faster than if I had never used this pattern. I finished this jacket last week and have already worn it three times. Something tells me that I will be using this pattern again when the right fabric in my stash speaks to me again.

9 comments:

Peg said...

Love your jacket Marilyn! It's gorgeous and looks fabulous on you!
PegL

Alexandra said...

Beautiful jacket! That burnt orange is such a lovely color! Isn't it nice to have a TNT that you can whip up anytime inspiration strikes you?

Shannon said...

Love the jackets - they look great on you!

Lindsay T said...

I love this on you! Orange is so in right now. I hear purple is going to be the hot color for fall....

Sherril said...

You did a great job on the new jacket. The white thread and buttons really sing summer to me.

The Lone Beader said...

Hi Marilyn! Thanks so much for your comment! You are exactly right! I guess it's just my way of making a statement. LOL. Also, thanks for linking to my blog! I really appreciate that! Please stop by anytime! :D

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Isn't it great to sew a garment that you've made before! It really allows you to think through the design process. I love both versions!!!

Charity said...

LOVE the orange jacket. There's something about a strong color that always seems fresh and modern. Looks fabulous on you.

Charity

West Coast Boomer said...

Am I toooooo late to rave about how great you look in that marvelous bright orange jacket. It is so lively --but not at all garish. The perfect jacket to wear and accessorize as Fall arives. - Aunt Gaiol from Pattern Review